You’re here because you ran out of feed for your guppies. Maybe you have some Goldfish feed lying around or maybe you’re thinking that you can just feed your guppies beta feed. But, you don’t have to!
If you want to know what to feed your guppies when you run out of food, it’s really simple. Your guppies, being omnivorous, can eat a wide variety of things that you probably have lying around the house or in the fridge.
Whenever you’re out of guppy food, give them brine shrimp, daphnia, bloodworms and mosquito larvae. They can also eat the algae off the sides of the aquarium (but never rely on this). Vegetables are also a good food source.
If you don’t know what vegetables your guppies can eat, here’s a quick list to help you get started.
- Sweet Corn
Guppies can eat live food too. Their favorite in the wild is insect larvae or shrimp brine. Here’s a list of some of them:
- Shrimp Brine
- Mosquito Larvae
- White Worms
- Tubifex Worms
Grains or grain products are a bit of a no-no for me. Yes, guppies can and will eat rice or bread. But, these foods are devoid of nutrients and minerals. Hence, it’s not the best food source for your fish. Don’t rely on these food items for your guppy.
Things To Note
If you’re thinking about feeding your guppy bread, stop and think twice. While guppies can eat bread, it contains unnecessary fillers that are not healthy for your fish to ingest or for your aquarium.
Guppies are among some of the best tropical fish to keep but you must take care of them and ensure that they have a healthy diet and good environment which in turn influences how long your guppies live (for the better).
- Guppy Dropsy Disease – Symptoms & Treatment
- How To Tell Difference Between Male & Female Guppy Fry
- Best Flake Food For Guppy Fish
- Guppy Bent Spine – Scoliosis & Tuberculosis
- Why Do My Guppies Stay In The Corner Of Tank?
- Is It Ok To Keep Guppy In A Fish Bowl?
- Guppy Fish and Platy Fish – Are They Good Tank Mates?
- How Long Can Guppies Go Without Food?
- Best Live Plants For Guppy Fish Tank
- Why Do My Guppies Keep Dying?
- How Many Guppies In A 10 Gallon Tank
- Guppy Fish and Cherry Shrimp – Are They Good Tank Mates?
- Guppy Fish and Molly Fish – Are They Good Tank Mates?
- Guppy Fish and Goldfish – Are They Good Tank Mates?
- How To Tell If Guppies Are Stressed
- How To Make Guppy Fry Grow Faster
- 10 Reasons To Get Guppies As A Pet
- What Is The Best Water pH Level For Guppies?
- Guppy Fish Growth Stages
- Guppy Fish and Angelfish – Are They Good Tank Mates?
- How To Start A Guppy Fish Tank
- Guppy Diseases, Parasites & Remedies
- Can Guppy Fish and Betta Fish Share A Tank?
- How To Care For Guppy Fish
- How To Care For Guppy Fry
- Guppy Fish Minimum Water Temperature
- Do Guppy Fish Lay Eggs?
- Do Guppies Need A Heater?
- How To Introduce Guppies To A New Tank
- What Fish Make Good Guppy Tank Mates?