There are many different varieties of lemon. Lemons have different sizes, shapes, colors, and even flavors. These are the main types of lemons:
Eureka lemons are found in most parts of the world. The most notable feature of this lemon variety is the shape.
The Eureka lemon has a nipple/tip at the end. The tip resembles the tip found on the Lisbon lemon.
The only difference is that the Eureka lemon is larger than the Lisbon lemon. Eureka lemons also have more seeds than the Lisbon variety.
The Eureka lemon tree produces fruit all year round making it one of the more popular growing options.
The Lisbon lemon, like the Eureka lemon, has a protruded tip at the end. This variety of lemon has little to no seeds inside and is more acidic than other kinds.
Lisbon trees produce lemons twice per year and are mostly grown in California.
Meyer lemons have an egg-like shape with no tip. It is a hybrid fruit that’s a cross between a lemon and a sweet orange.
These types of lemons are usually used to flavor food. They produce fruit throughout the year and are ripe when the fruit turns to a yellow-orange color.
Like the Eureka lemon, Verna lemons are quite acidic. They have thick skins and very few seeds.
Verna lemon trees produce fruit twice per year. The fruit contains little juice and thus is not the most sort after for making juice.
The fruit of the Primofiori lemon has a pale yellow color. This variety of lemon, though small, is much juicier than other kinds of lemons.
The tree is similar to that of the Eureka lemon tree. However, the Primifiori lemon tree is thorny whereas the Eureka tree is not.
This is a variety of lemon that originated in Florida. It is one of the most common types of lemons that you’d find in supermarkets.
This is a sweet variety of lemon that is very low in acid. It was discovered in Brazil in 1914 by Dorsett, Shamel, and Popenoe. It is also named after its discoverers.
Citron is a variety of lemon that grows wild in India. They can grow to weigh up to 10 pounds however they are not a juicy as other lemons (despite their size). Instead, they are dry and mostly used for their rind.
This lemon is also known as Buddha’s Hand. Like the citron lemon above, it is used mostly for its rind as well as the pith. In China, it is also used as a temple offering expected to bring peace and happiness.
Pink Variegated Lemon
This is a cultivar of the Eureka lemon. It has few seeds and is not as acidic as other lemons. The tree produces fruit all year round and is used in cooking or as garnish.
The Ponderosa Lemon has thick and rugged skin. It is a citrus hybrid of a pomelo and a citron. They are used to make juice, to flavor dishes, and in desserts, or even eaten them raw.
- 6 Different Types of Lemons with Pictures & Essential Facts – Green & Vibrant – https://www.greenandvibrant.com/types-of-lemons
- What is the best type of lemon? – Home Guides – https://homeguides.sfgate.com/kind-lemon-tree-63335.html
- How Is a Lemon Tree Identified? – Home Guides – https://homeguides.sfgate.com/lemon-tree-identified-61107.html
- Lemon – Wikipedia – https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lemon
- What’s the Difference Between Meyer Lemons and Regular Lemons? – Kitchn – https://www.thekitchn.com/whats-the-difference-between-meyer-lemons-and-regular-lemons-word-of-mouth-216551
- At the Market: Lemon Varieties – Article – FineCooking – https://www.finecooking.com/article/at-the-market-lemon-varieties
- 6 Types of Lemon in California | Lemon Varieties in California – Balcony Garden Web – https://balconygardenweb.com/types-of-lemon-in-california-varieties/
- Lemon Glossary – Different Types of Lemons https://www.thenibble.com/reviews/main/fruits/lemon-varieties-a.asp
- Types of Citrus Fruits – https://collegiannews.com/types-of-citrus-fruits/511216/