The 6 main types of carpets are woven carpets, needle felt carpets, knotted carpets, tufted carpets, flatweave carpets, and the hooked rug. Popular carpet materials are nylon, polyester, acrylic, and wool.
Main Carpet Types
Woven carpets are made on a loom. The pile is either plush or Berber. The only difference between the two is that plush carpet is a cut pile while Berber carpet is a loop pile.
These types of carpets are usually the most expensive. This is because of the slow speed of the manufacturing process.
Needle Felt Carpet
Needle felt carpeting is very durable. They are made up of layers of non-woven fleece. The fleece is needle-punched and compressed using a pressing machine. Supporting binders are also added for extra stability.
Knotted Pile Carpet
Knotted-pile carpets have raised surfaces due to the cut off ends of knots woven between the warp and weft (length and width).
A tufted carpet is made by punching pile yarn through a carpet backing material which has been woven before. After, the pile is cut.
A flatweave carpet is any carpet made without any knots at all. The parallel running fibers that comprise the warp and weft make up the whole surface of the carpet.
With hooked rugs, loops of yarn are pulled through the rug’s backing material. This can be done using a machine or a hand-held hooking needle.
- Types of Carpet | Styles & Stain Resistant Options | Flooring America
- Carpet Buying Guide – Lowe’s
- The 5 Most Popular Carpet Colors and Styles | DoItYourself.com
- Your Guide to the Different Types of Carpet | DIY
- Carpet Installation Cost – Estimates and Prices at Fixr
- How to Choose Carpet | Family Handyman
- Types of Carpet – The Home Depot
- Carpet – Wikipedia
- Loom demonstration video
- “Caring for your loom” article
- “The Art and History of Weaving”
- Plush – Merriam-Webster
- Berber Carpeting – LoveToKnow
- Pile (textile) – Wikipedia
- Tufted vs Woven Carpet – Flooring Studio
- Felt – Carpet Concept
- “Warp | The George Washington University Museum and The Textile Museum | The George Washington University”
- Knotted-pile carpet – Wikipedia
- Tufted Carpet Manufacturing Process | Carpets Wall-Wall
- An Overview of Carpet Types—Fiber and Pile – The Spruce
- 9 Main Types of Carpet Materials – Collegian News