Before adding an algae eater fish or algae eating snail to your fish tank, it’s important to know what type of algae you have growing in your tank. After all, different algae eaters eat different kinds of algae. These are the types of algae that grow in freshwater fish tanks:
Hair algae are also called filamentous or thread algae. It is light green in color and grows in wispy threads. Hair algae are fast-growing and quickly attaches to any tank surface.
Also known or diatoms are single-celled algae that are brown in color. It starts to form over tank surfaces in dust-like particles which eventually turn into a thick covering over several days.
Brown Slime Algae
Dinoflagellates or brown slime algae is symbiotic. It gives nutrients to invertebrates like snails and shrimp but it can also take over the tank if not enough algae eaters are present.
Cyanobacteria or blue-green algae are usually pinkish-red in color (despite the name). It usually starts out as a spot or two but can quickly spread and cover tank and decoration surfaces.
Black Beard Algae
Black beard algae are mostly dark purple or black in color and usually grows on aquarium plants.
Green Spot Algae
This type of algae thrives in tanks that have bright lighting and can prove difficult to get rid of. It grows on tank walls and slow-growing plants.
Green algae are also known as algae bloom and occur when you do not let your tank cycle properly or if the lighting is too bright. This is the algae that turn the aquarium water green.
- What kind of algae is in my fish tank? – Algae in your Freshwater Aquarium? – Fish Tank Advisor – https://fishtankadvisor.com/freshwater-algae/
- Aquarium Freshwater Algae – Chewy – Pet Central by Chewy – https://petcentral.chewy.com/aquarium-freshwater-algae/
- Filamentous Algae – AquaPlant – A Diagnostics Tool for Pond Plants and Algae – https://aquaplant.tamu.edu/plant-identification/alphabetical-index/filamentous-algae/
- Description of Common Aquarium Algae – Algone – https://www.algone.com/description-of-common-aquarium-algae
- Nitrogen-Fixing Blue-Green Algae – https://link.springer.com/chapter/10.1007%2F978-3-662-10385-2_26
- Introduction to the Cyanobacteria – https://ucmp.berkeley.edu/bacteria/cyanointro.html
- How to get rid of Black Beard Algae in an Aquarium – Aquascaper – https://aquascaper.org/how-to-get-rid-of-black-beard-algae-in-an-aquarium
- Does Green Water Hurt Fish? – Pond Algae Solutions – http://pondalgaesolutions.org/2011/08/02/does-green-water-hurt-fish/