Snails are oft regarded as a pest in freshwater tanks but there are some types of snails that make good algae eaters. These are the best algae eating snails for freshwater aquariums:
Nerite snails have a zebra-like pattern on their shell and are the most common species of algae-eating snails. The reason behind this is because Nerites eat all types of algae and they can rid a tank of algae quickly.
They grow to about an inch in length and should not be kept with large fish that may eat or attack them.
Apple snails prefer to chow down on plants so they are not a good fit for a heavily planted tank. However, they will eat algae if there is no other food source around.
Thus, for aquariums with little vegetation, apple snails can help control algae, though it is not their preferred food. Be sure to supplement their diet with other sources of food like cucumbers.
Rabbit snails are large types of algae-eating snails that can grow up to 5 inches in length. They have long and pointed shells and are usually brown or yellow in color.
Rabbit snails do not usually feed on live aquarium plants, instead, they prefer to decaying plant matter and other detritus in addition to algae.
Ramshorn snails feed on several different types of algae and leftover fish food as well as decaying plants. These snails do not eat live plants and are best suited for tanks that house peaceful fish. Large or aggressive fish like loaches, cichlids will attack and harass them.
Malaysian Trumpet Snail
The Malaysian trumpet snail grows less than 1 inch in length. Their shells are long and can be of a variety of colors. These algae eating snails feed on most kinds of algae in fish tanks and are not known to feed on plants.
- How do you control algae? – Causes and Cures for Filmy Residue on Tank Glass, Rocks – The Spruce Pets – https://www.thesprucepets.com/aquarium-algae-1379979
- Do snails eat beard algae? – They eat Black beard algae!!!!! – https://www.aquariacentral.com/forums/threads/they-eat-black-beard-algae.155024/
- Algae eaters in the aquarium – controlling algae the natural way – Aquasabi – https://www.aquasabi.com/aquascaping-wiki_algae_algae-eaters-in-the-aquarium
- HOW DO SNAILS KEEP A TANK CLEAN? – https://animals.mom.me/snails-keep-tank-clean-4912.html
- This snail is the PERFECT algae eater! – Video – YouTube – https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0cTe08VJ_4E