Guppies can have babies at a very fast rate. You can start with a tank of 2 to 4 guppies and end up with a tank of 30 to 40 within months. But where do all these baby guppies (fry) come from? Are guppies egg layers?
Are Guppy Fish Egg Layers?
Guppy fish do not lay eggs, guppies are livebearers. This means that guppy fish store their eggs inside their bodies. When the eggs fully develop, the female guppy gives birth to baby fry. During the entire pregnancy, the guppy fish keep their eggs inside their bodies. (See this video to find out how they give birth)
A female guppy is able to give birth to 10 to 120 guppy fry. A guppy fry is only about 0.25 inches in size at birth. It usually takes up to 6 months for guppy fry to reach a size of 1.5 inches (tail not included in the size of 1.5 inches is without taking into account their tails which can be longer.
So, are guppies egg layers? No, guppy fish are livebearers. Females are impregnated by males and carry the baby fry inside their bodies until they are fully developed. They then give birth to live baby guppy that can feed on their own and already know a few survival skills like hiding from adult fish.
Things To Note
Keeping only female guppies in a tank does not mean that there will be no baby guppies. Females are able to carry sperm from a male guppy for months. Thus, some guppies are already pregnant before you buy them at the store.
You can read our other articles below for more information on how guppies breed, how to control the guppy population of your tank, and more.
- Guppy Dropsy Disease – Symptoms & Treatment
- How To Tell Difference Between Male & Female Guppy Fry
- Best Flake Food For Guppy Fish
- Guppy Bent Spine – Scoliosis & Tuberculosis
- Why Do My Guppies Stay In The Corner Of Tank?
- Is It Ok To Keep Guppy In A Fish Bowl?
- Guppy Fish and Platy Fish – Are They Good Tank Mates?
- How Long Can Guppies Go Without Food?
- Best Live Plants For Guppy Fish Tank
- Why Do My Guppies Keep Dying?
- How Many Guppies In A 10 Gallon Tank
- Guppy Fish and Cherry Shrimp – Are They Good Tank Mates?
- Guppy Fish and Molly Fish – Are They Good Tank Mates?
- Guppy Fish and Goldfish – Are They Good Tank Mates?
- How To Tell If Guppies Are Stressed
- How To Make Guppy Fry Grow Faster
- 10 Reasons To Get Guppies As A Pet
- What Is The Best Water pH Level For Guppies?
- Guppy Fish Growth Stages
- Guppy Fish and Angelfish – Are They Good Tank Mates?
- How To Start A Guppy Fish Tank
- Guppy Diseases, Parasites & Remedies
- Can Guppy Fish and Betta Fish Share A Tank?
- How To Care For Guppy Fish
- How To Care For Guppy Fry
- Guppy Fish Minimum Water Temperature
- Do Guppies Need A Heater?
- How To Introduce Guppies To A New Tank
- What Fish Make Good Guppy Tank Mates?
- Do Guppies Sleep?