Is it ok to keep guppy fish and platy fish in the same aquarium? Yes, guppies and platy fish can share the same tank. Both are tropical fish and freshwater aquarium pets and can live under the same water conditions. So, platy fish make for great guppy tank mates.
A 10-gallon tank is the minimum recommended size when keeping guppies and a 20-gallon tank is best for platies. So, when keeping both guppies and platies in the same aquarium, aim for a 20-gallon fish tank.
Both fish live in schools so you’d need to take that into consideration when purchasing a tank. They also like to swim around. The larger the aquarium the better. A 20-gallon tank can safely hold 10-15 fish.
Setting up a good filtration system is the key to keeping your fish healthy. Always go for a big filter for your fish tanks. For example, in a 20-gallon aquarium, a filter for a 40-gallon tank can work wonders. The Aqua Clear – Fish Tank Filter is perfect for guppies and platies.
It is a HOB filter that is available in 5 different sizes and has ample space for filter media. It uses a 3 stage filtration mechanism: mechanical, chemical and biological. You can adjust the flow rate if you need to control the water current.
Both guppies and platies can thrive in the same water parameters. All you need is a good heater for your tank like the Eheim Jager Aquarium Thermostat Heater. A temperature around 72-74 °F (22-24 °C) is perfect for both guppy and platy fish.
Things To Note
Weekly water changes are needed to remove nitrates and other chemical substances from the water. Changing about 30% of the water is a good starting point.
If you plan on using tap water, treat it with a conditioner like Seachem Prime which removes chlorine and heavy metals from tap water.
Clean the filter regularly. Be sure to rinse the biological filter using the water from the fish tank. If left too long, the filter can cause an increase in nitrates and ammonia which are deadly to fish.
You can decorate your aquarium with some live plants that will help keep the water clean, provide hiding places for your fish, and can also act as a food source for fish. You can try:
- Java Moss
- Java Fern
To keep your guppy and platy fish healthy, you need to give them a variety of high-quality food. Here are the best flake foods for guppy fish (also good for platy fish as well). Fluval Bug Bites Granules for Tropical Fish is a great choice.
- Can Guppies and Platies Live Together? – Nerd Aquarist
- 14 Awesome Guppy Tank Mates – Build Your Aquarium
- Guppy Dropsy Disease – Symptoms & Treatment
- How To Tell Difference Between Male & Female Guppy Fry
- Best Flake Food For Guppy Fish
- Guppy Bent Spine – Scoliosis & Tuberculosis
- Why Do My Guppies Stay In The Corner Of Tank?
- Is It Ok To Keep Guppy In A Fish Bowl?
- How Long Can Guppies Go Without Food?
- Best Live Plants For Guppy Fish Tank
- Why Do My Guppies Keep Dying?
- How Many Guppies In A 10 Gallon Tank
- Guppy Fish and Cherry Shrimp – Are They Good Tank Mates?
- Guppy Fish and Molly Fish – Are They Good Tank Mates?
- Guppy Fish and Goldfish – Are They Good Tank Mates?
- How To Tell If Guppies Are Stressed
- How To Make Guppy Fry Grow Faster
- 10 Reasons To Get Guppies As A Pet
- What Is The Best Water pH Level For Guppies?
- Guppy Fish Growth Stages
- Guppy Fish and Angelfish – Are They Good Tank Mates?
- How To Start A Guppy Fish Tank
- Guppy Diseases, Parasites & Remedies
- Can Guppy Fish and Betta Fish Share A Tank?
- How To Care For Guppy Fish
- How To Care For Guppy Fry
- Guppy Fish Minimum Water Temperature
- Do Guppy Fish Lay Eggs?
- Do Guppies Need A Heater?
- How To Introduce Guppies To A New Tank
- What Fish Make Good Guppy Tank Mates?
- Do Guppies Sleep?