Can guppy fish and goldfish live in the same aquarium? Yes, guppies and goldfish can share the same tank. However, bigger goldfish can eat smaller guppy fish. The key to successfully keeping both species of fish together is choosing the right type of goldfish (smaller breeds) and proper tank maintenance.
Things To Note
Guppies are prolific breeders. Females can give birth to 20-120 baby guppies per month. Both adult guppies and goldfish will eat guppy fry. Thus, its best to separate the fry from adult fish.
It is best to raise your baby fish in a separate tank until they are big enough to join the adult fish in the main tank. You can also use a breeding box for this purpose but a dedicated tank is best.
Goldfish are known to produce a lot of waste. If you have more than one goldfish, you can expect to do more water changes and tank maintenance than normal.
Weekly water changes are enough to remove nitrates from the water. However, for ammonia increases, it is best to have a good filter in place. Frequent water changes and a good filtration system allow both guppies and goldfish to thrive.
A large aquarium is best when keeping both guppy fish and goldfish together. The larger aquarium allows the bigger goldfish to have adequate space.
Goldfish prefer cool water temperatures. They can survive at 40-78 °F (5-23 °C ). However, guppies require warm waters (around 72-82 °F (22-28 °C )). They are tropical fish after all.
To satisfy both species of fish, temperature around 70 °F is best. Cool enough for the goldfish and warm enough for the guppy fish.
As for the pH level, aim for 7 pH. Goldfish prefer acidic water. On the other fin, guppies prefer alkaline water. A pH level of 7 is neutral so it satisfies both fish.
You can keep both guppy fish and goldfish in the same tank. However, you must consider the needs of both fish and come up with an environment that is ideal for both species.
Regular water changes, proper tank maintenance, good filtration, a heater, and a neutral pH level are the most important elements when keeping guppies and goldfish together.
- Can goldfish and guppies be kept in the same tank? – Quora
- Can Guppies Live With Goldfish in The Same Aquarium?
- Raising Guppies and Gold Fish in the Same Tank – Stop Harper!
- Best Flake Food For Guppy Fish
- Guppy Bent Spine – Scoliosis & Tuberculosis
- Why Do My Guppies Stay In The Corner Of Tank?
- Is It Ok To Keep Guppy In A Fish Bowl?
- Guppy Fish and Platy Fish – Are They Good Tank Mates?
- How Long Can Guppies Go Without Food?
- Best Live Plants For Guppy Fish Tank
- Why Do My Guppies Keep Dying?
- How Many Guppies In A 10 Gallon Tank
- Guppy Fish and Cherry Shrimp – Are They Good Tank Mates?
- Guppy Fish and Molly Fish – Are They Good Tank Mates?
- How To Tell If Guppies Are Stressed
- How To Make Guppy Fry Grow Faster
- 10 Reasons To Get Guppies As A Pet
- What Is The Best Water pH Level For Guppies?
- Guppy Fish Growth Stages
- Guppy Fish and Angelfish – Are They Good Tank Mates?
- How To Start A Guppy Fish Tank
- Guppy Diseases, Parasites & Remedies
- Can Guppy Fish and Betta Fish Share A Tank?
- How To Care For Guppy Fish
- How To Care For Guppy Fry
- Guppy Fish Minimum Water Temperature
- Do Guppy Fish Lay Eggs?
- Do Guppies Need A Heater?
- How To Introduce Guppies To A New Tank
- What Fish Make Good Guppy Tank Mates?
- Do Guppies Sleep?
- How To Breed Guppies
- Why Do Guppies Eat Their Babies?