Keeping multiple species of fish in the same aquarium is ok once you know that they are compatible. Guppies and angelfish are two of the most popular types of tropical fish to keep but do guppy fish and angelfish make good tank mates?
Can You Keep Guppies and Angelfish Together?
The answer is that it depends. No, guppies and angelfish should not share the same aquarium. On the one fin, you have a peaceful and easygoing guppy. On the other, you have more aggressive angelfish.
Most often than not, angelfish will attack guppies. They are bigger and take up much more space than the smaller guppy fish. Angelfish are also known to eat small guppies. Here are some reasons against keeping them together.
If you want to stress out your guppy add a predatory fish to their tank. Angelfish will chase and harass guppies which will stress them out. The larger angelfish is faster and will force guppies to remain in hiding. Stress can lead to infertility, death, and it can also hinder the growth rate of your guppies.
Angelfish Eat Guppies
Angelfish grow up to 6 inches long and 8 inches tall. Guppy fish grow to 1.5-2 inches. Adult angelfish can eat adult guppies. They will also eat baby guppies. Even if there are lots of hiding places in the tank, the risk is still great in terms of survival for both adults and fry.
There are some that say that you can keep guppies and angelfish together. The trick is to introduce both species to each other while the angelfish is still young and small. The theory is that the angelfish will then treat the guppies as tank mates instead of their next meal.
However, both are wild animals and the dynamics of their relationship could change in the blink of an eye. Always monitor the tank to ensure that the community is doing well.
The general consensus is that you should not keep guppy fish and angelfish in the same tank. This is because the angelfish are bigger and more aggressive than guppies. Angelfish can eat both guppy fry and adult guppies. The guppies will be stressed and can become infertile, lose their appetite, and even die due to stress.
- 15 Great Angelfish Tank Mates (Complete Compatibility Guide)
- Is It Ok To Put Guppies, Mollies, And Angelfish Together?
- Angelfish w/ Guppies? – Aquarium Advice – Aquarium Forum Community
- Guppies and angelfish? | AquariaCentral.com
- Guppy Dropsy Disease – Symptoms & Treatment
- How To Tell Difference Between Male & Female Guppy Fry
- Best Flake Food For Guppy Fish
- Guppy Bent Spine – Scoliosis & Tuberculosis
- Why Do My Guppies Stay In The Corner Of Tank?
- Is It Ok To Keep Guppy In A Fish Bowl?
- Guppy Fish and Platy Fish – Are They Good Tank Mates?
- How Long Can Guppies Go Without Food?
- Best Live Plants For Guppy Fish Tank
- Why Do My Guppies Keep Dying?
- How Many Guppies In A 10 Gallon Tank
- Guppy Fish and Cherry Shrimp – Are They Good Tank Mates?
- Guppy Fish and Molly Fish – Are They Good Tank Mates?
- Guppy Fish and Goldfish – Are They Good Tank Mates?
- How To Tell If Guppies Are Stressed
- How To Make Guppy Fry Grow Faster
- 10 Reasons To Get Guppies As A Pet
- What Is The Best Water pH Level For Guppies?
- Guppy Fish Growth Stages
- How To Start A Guppy Fish Tank
- Guppy Diseases, Parasites & Remedies
- Can Guppy Fish and Betta Fish Share A Tank?
- How To Care For Guppy Fish
- How To Care For Guppy Fry
- Guppy Fish Minimum Water Temperature
- Do Guppy Fish Lay Eggs?
- Do Guppies Need A Heater?
- How To Introduce Guppies To A New Tank
- What Fish Make Good Guppy Tank Mates?
- Do Guppies Sleep?