Guppies are a popular type of tropical fish that we keep as freshwater aquarium pets. There are also those of us that like bettas. Is it ok to keep guppies and beta fish in the same tank? Will the beta attack or harass the guppy fish?
In this article, we’ll discuss whether or not betta fish are good tank mates for guppy fish. Afterall, guppies are peaceful species of fish while the betta is more aggressive (though not as much as some other fish).
Type of Betta
There are a few different types of betta fish and each one has different levels of aggressiveness. In order to know if your guppies and betta are compatible, you must first determine the breed of betta that you plant to introduce into the tank.
Halfmoon Betta fish and Delta Betta fish are the most peaceful breeds of betta fish. They are the most compatible tank mates for your guppies. However, just because they are the most peaceful does not allow for overcrowding.
If you do opt for other betta fish, be wary of the size. The larger the betta fish, the more dangerous it will be for your guppies. So stick to smaller kinds of betta.
Number of Betta Fish
It’s a good idea to limit the number of betta fish that share the tank with your guppies. It’s a good idea to keep one betta fish in a single aquarium. Betta fish are known to fight amongst themselves.
Betta fish will also nibble at the fins of the guppies. They can survive with their fins trimmed but that takes away from their beauty and can lead to health issues. Keep multiple guppies with single betta so that it can’t hunt down a single guppy.
Introducing lots of plants in the tank not only makes the tank more natural but it also allows your guppies to relax and hide from betta fish if need be. Although, the betta fish can also use the live plants as hiding spots too. It’s a win-win as both species like hiding between plants and will more than likely keep away from each other.
A large tank is not required but one with adequate space is beneficial. A 10-gallon aquarium can house 4-5 guppies and a betta fish without any issues. A larger tank can keep more guppies but never add more than one betta.
Bettas prefer a meat-based diet as they are carnivores. Guppies are omnivores and will eat both plant and animal matter. Frozen blood worms and live black worms are good for betta fish. Guppies can eat and survive on betta food but try not to make it a habit to feed them with a betta diet.
It’s a good idea to feed your guppies first. Feed them vegetable pallets which your betta will not bother to go after. Fish flakes are also a good choice.
Once your guppies are full then you can go ahead and feed your betta the blood worms or blackworms. You can use a pipette or a small pair of pincers; tweezers to feed your betta fish. This helps keep greedy guppies from trying to compete for more food.
- Will Bettas Eat Guppy Fry?
- How can guppies and betta fish live together in the same tank?
- How do I introduce my betta to guppies?
Can Guppies Live In The Same Tank As Bettas?
Yes, guppies and betta fish can live in the same aquarium. However, you will have to take time to feed your betta separately and you will also need to purchase live plants for the tank. Also, always opt to choose smaller, non-aggressive breeds of betta to keep with your guppies.
- Guppy Dropsy Disease – Symptoms & Treatment
- How To Tell Difference Between Male & Female Guppy Fry
- Best Flake Food For Guppy Fish
- Guppy Bent Spine – Scoliosis & Tuberculosis
- Why Do My Guppies Stay In The Corner Of Tank?
- Is It Ok To Keep Guppy In A Fish Bowl?
- Guppy Fish and Platy Fish – Are They Good Tank Mates?
- How Long Can Guppies Go Without Food?
- Best Live Plants For Guppy Fish Tank
- Why Do My Guppies Keep Dying?
- How Many Guppies In A 10 Gallon Tank
- Guppy Fish and Cherry Shrimp – Are They Good Tank Mates?
- Guppy Fish and Molly Fish – Are They Good Tank Mates?
- Guppy Fish and Goldfish – Are They Good Tank Mates?
- How To Tell If Guppies Are Stressed
- How To Make Guppy Fry Grow Faster
- 10 Reasons To Get Guppies As A Pet
- What Is The Best Water pH Level For Guppies?
- Guppy Fish Growth Stages
- Guppy Fish and Angelfish – Are They Good Tank Mates?
- How To Start A Guppy Fish Tank
- Guppy Diseases, Parasites & Remedies
- How To Care For Guppy Fish
- How To Care For Guppy Fry
- Guppy Fish Minimum Water Temperature
- Do Guppy Fish Lay Eggs?
- Do Guppies Need A Heater?
- How To Introduce Guppies To A New Tank
- What Fish Make Good Guppy Tank Mates?
- Do Guppies Sleep?