Guppies are a tropical fish species and as such, they live in warm waters. That being said, many types of guppies are able to adapt to a variety of water temperatures and survive. But, what is the minimum water temperature for guppies?
Guppy Fish Minimum Water Temperature
The minimum water temperature for guppies is 72 °F (22 °C). For a short period of time, 1-2 days, guppies can withstand water temperatures as low as 65°F (18 °C), but the chances of developing diseases are very high. Offering your guppies a stable water temperature is the best way to keep your fish healthy.
Guppy Fish Maximum Water Temperature
Guppy fish can survive in maximum water temperatures of up to 90 °F (32 °C). However not for an extended period of time and only if the water is well aerated because the warmer the water, the lower the oxygen level in it.
Do Guppies Need A Heater?
If you live in an area where the temperature drops below 68 °F (20 °C), in the winter for example, then getting a water heater for your aquarium can be a good idea.
A steady 70-72 °F (21-22 °C) in-door air temperature during the cold winter months should be enough to warm up the water of your fish tank.
However, water and air heat differently. Thus, if the air temperature is 70 °F (21 °C) then the water temperature will be lower.
This is why a water heater is necessary to keep the water temperature of your guppy’s aquarium at an ideal warmth. Read, do guppies need a water heater for info on choosing a good size based on the volume of water in your tank and more.
Often times, we don’t pay attention to the temperature of the water when moving our guppies from one tank to another.
For better care of your guppies, ensure that the water of both containers is as close as possible to each other in temperature.
So, if your main aquarium has a water temperature of 73 °F (23 °C), then the water of the temporary tank should have a temperature between 70-77 °F (21-25 °C).
Things To Note
As mentioned, guppies are able to survive in a variety of water temperatures. Sometimes it is hard to tell if a cooler or warmer temperature is the best water temperature for guppies.
However, guppies thrive well in water temperatures between 72-82 °F (22-28 °C). Guppies grow faster in warmer water but this lessens your guppies’ lifespan.
On the other hand, keeping your guppies in cooler water prolongs their life but at a slower growth rate. If you keep your guppies as a casual hobby or for your kids then cooler water is best.
Steady water temperature plays a key role in keeping your fish healthy and happy. For guppies, staying at or above the minimum recommended water temperature of 72 °F (22 °C) is ideal. Other things to pay attention to include the pH level, GH level, ammonia level, nitrite level, and nitrate level.
- Guppy Dropsy Disease – Symptoms & Treatment
- How To Tell Difference Between Male & Female Guppy Fry
- Best Flake Food For Guppy Fish
- Guppy Bent Spine – Scoliosis & Tuberculosis
- Why Do My Guppies Stay In The Corner Of Tank?
- Is It Ok To Keep Guppy In A Fish Bowl?
- Guppy Fish and Platy Fish – Are They Good Tank Mates?
- How Long Can Guppies Go Without Food?
- Best Live Plants For Guppy Fish Tank
- Why Do My Guppies Keep Dying?
- How Many Guppies In A 10 Gallon Tank
- Guppy Fish and Cherry Shrimp – Are They Good Tank Mates?
- Guppy Fish and Molly Fish – Are They Good Tank Mates?
- Guppy Fish and Goldfish – Are They Good Tank Mates?
- How To Tell If Guppies Are Stressed
- How To Make Guppy Fry Grow Faster
- 10 Reasons To Get Guppies As A Pet
- What Is The Best Water pH Level For Guppies?
- Guppy Fish Growth Stages
- Guppy Fish and Angelfish – Are They Good Tank Mates?
- How To Start A Guppy Fish Tank
- Guppy Diseases, Parasites & Remedies
- Can Guppy Fish and Betta Fish Share A Tank?
- How To Care For Guppy Fish
- How To Care For Guppy Fry
- Do Guppy Fish Lay Eggs?
- Do Guppies Need A Heater?
- How To Introduce Guppies To A New Tank
- What Fish Make Good Guppy Tank Mates?
- Do Guppies Sleep?