The number one reason why guppies stay in the corner of the aquarium is that the guppy fish are stressed. When stressed, guppies can huddle in a corner, stay at the bottom, or float at the top of the tank and stay completely still.
Reason Why Guppies Stay in the Corner of Tank
- Moving to a new habitat.
- Poor water temperature. A heater is good to keep temperatures steady.
- Small or overcrowded aquarium.
- Lack of plants and hiding places.
- Aggressive tank mates.
- Poor water condition (toxic, dirty).
- Sickness or diseases.
Reason Why Guppies Float At The Top of Tank
When guppies keep swimming at the top of the aquarium it is because they are struggling to get oxygen in the water. Warm water, above 86 °F (30 °C), lowers the oxygen level in the water. In this situation, your guppies will gasp for air at the surface.
You can get a pump or adjust the water temperature accordingly. Overcrowding and pollution also cause oxygen levels to decrease. Filters help in purifying the water so they would help to improve the water conditions.
Things To Consider
Ammonia burns are a very common problem in new aquariums. The tiniest amount of ammonia can harm and eventually cause your guppy fish to die.
Cycle refers to the nitrogen cycle which is where you allow enough good bacteria to grow on the filter media to break down ammonia and nitrite into nitrate. The process takes 4~6 weeks.
The only way to remove nitrates and other compounds from the water is through water change. So, do 30-50% water changes every week. A water conditioner like Seachem Prime can also be used to remove chlorine and other substances from tap water.
A note on female guppies. More than likely, the female guppy is about to give birth to her fry. Thus, if you see a female in the corner, it might be a good idea to remove her from the main tank and transfer her to a breeding box or solitary tank so that you can save the baby fry.
- Guppy Staying In Top Corner Of My Tank, Why? | My Aquarium Club
- Why are my guppies sitting in corners? – Aquarium Advice
- Guppies Sitting In Corner – Freshwater Beginners – Fishlore
- Fish Gathering At Surface In The Corner Of The Tank | Fish Forums
- What Causes My Guppies to Swim at the Top of the Tank? | Nerd Aquarist
- Guppy Dropsy Disease – Symptoms & Treatment
- How To Tell Difference Between Male & Female Guppy Fry
- Best Flake Food For Guppy Fish
- Guppy Bent Spine – Scoliosis & Tuberculosis
- Is It Ok To Keep Guppy In A Fish Bowl?
- Guppy Fish and Platy Fish – Are They Good Tank Mates?
- How Long Can Guppies Go Without Food?
- Best Live Plants For Guppy Fish Tank
- Why Do My Guppies Keep Dying?
- How Many Guppies In A 10 Gallon Tank
- Guppy Fish and Cherry Shrimp – Are They Good Tank Mates?
- Guppy Fish and Molly Fish – Are They Good Tank Mates?
- Guppy Fish and Goldfish – Are They Good Tank Mates?
- How To Tell If Guppies Are Stressed
- How To Make Guppy Fry Grow Faster
- 10 Reasons To Get Guppies As A Pet
- What Is The Best Water pH Level For Guppies?
- Guppy Fish Growth Stages
- Guppy Fish and Angelfish – Are They Good Tank Mates?
- How To Start A Guppy Fish Tank
- Guppy Diseases, Parasites & Remedies
- Can Guppy Fish and Betta Fish Share A Tank?
- How To Care For Guppy Fish
- How To Care For Guppy Fry
- Guppy Fish Minimum Water Temperature
- Do Guppy Fish Lay Eggs?
- Do Guppies Need A Heater?
- How To Introduce Guppies To A New Tank
- What Fish Make Good Guppy Tank Mates?
- Do Guppies Sleep?