Adult guppies can survive without food for up to 2 weeks. However, there are few things to consider before leaving your tank for such a long period of time. On the other hand, guppy fry can survive for about 3 days without food.
Guppies can live without food for weeks so long as the water conditions are good. If you have guppy fry, you need to feed them at least once a day. So it’s not a good idea to leave fry unattended.
Before You Leave
- A few days before leaving do filter maintenance.
- One day before you leave, do a water change (50-70%).
- Put aquarium lights on a timer (your guppies need to sleep and won’t do so with constant light)
- Get rid of decaying plant matter or dying fish.
Things You’ll Need
- API Quick Start – Use this to add nitrifying bacteria to help keep the colony stable after you perform the huge water change.
- Timer for lights – if you can’t buy a timer then leave the lights off completely and allow for natural light to reach the tank. Your plants need light.
- Automatic Feeder – For guppy fry, automatic feeders are a great option to feed them while you are away.
Things To Note
- In some tanks, where microfauna and algae are present, guppy fry can survive for much longer.
- Set the automatic timer to feed the fry once a day.
- No food in any tank for three days! How long can fish go without food? | Aquarium Fish Room VLOG
- How long can my fish go without eating?|Fish Room VLOG
- How Long Will My 4 Guppies Survive Without Food? | My Aquarium Club
- How Long Can Baby Guppies Go W/Out Food? | Tropical Fish Forums
- How long can guppy fish live without food? | Yahoo Answers
- How Long Can Guppies Go Without Feeding? | Guppy – Fishlore
- Best Flake Food For Guppy Fish
- Guppy Bent Spine – Scoliosis & Tuberculosis
- Why Do My Guppies Stay In The Corner Of Tank?
- Is It Ok To Keep Guppy In A Fish Bowl?
- Guppy Fish and Platy Fish – Are They Good Tank Mates?
- Best Live Plants For Guppy Fish Tank
- Why Do My Guppies Keep Dying?
- How Many Guppies In A 10 Gallon Tank
- Guppy Fish and Cherry Shrimp – Are They Good Tank Mates?
- Guppy Fish and Molly Fish – Are They Good Tank Mates?
- Guppy Fish and Goldfish – Are They Good Tank Mates?
- How To Tell If Guppies Are Stressed
- How To Make Guppy Fry Grow Faster
- 10 Reasons To Get Guppies As A Pet
- What Is The Best Water pH Level For Guppies?
- Guppy Fish Growth Stages
- Guppy Fish and Angelfish – Are They Good Tank Mates?
- How To Start A Guppy Fish Tank
- Guppy Diseases, Parasites & Remedies
- Can Guppy Fish and Betta Fish Share A Tank?
- How To Care For Guppy Fish
- How To Care For Guppy Fry
- Guppy Fish Minimum Water Temperature
- Do Guppy Fish Lay Eggs?
- Do Guppies Need A Heater?
- How To Introduce Guppies To A New Tank
- What Fish Make Good Guppy Tank Mates?
- Do Guppies Sleep?
- How To Breed Guppies
- Why Do Guppies Eat Their Babies?