Yes, your guppies can eat goldfish food. But, only feed your guppies goldfish feed for a short period of time. It should only be as a last resort. While most freshwater aquarium fish have similar diets, specialized fish food is just that. Made to benefit a specific species of fish.
Your best option is to always keep some tropical flakes on hand (you can buy these online). However, if you really don’t have anything else to feed your guppy, you can feed it other things like vegetables or live/frozen bait.
Why Not To Feed Guppy Goldfish Food
So, why shouldn’t you feed your guppies goldfish flakes? These flakes do not have the necessary amount of protein for your guppy. Extended use of flakes made for goldfish can lead to a deficiency which then negatively affects your guppies lifespan.
Also, guppies require a different set of minerals and nutrients to enhance their colors. If they don’t get them then their colors will be dull. They also need specific nutrition to boost their immune system and promote growth.
When Is It Ok To Feed Goldfish Food To Guppy
Of course, if you’re supplementing your guppies with insect larvae, bloodworms, and other protein sources, then a bit of goldfish food won’t hurt. The key is to ensure that all the tropical fish you keep in your tank get a balanced diet. For your guppies, this means a longer life expectancy.
Always remember not to overfeed your fish and to ensure that you know how often to feed your guppies. Overfeeding can cause obesity which leads to death. And, keep the tank clean by removing any leftover food. Be sure to check out these cool facts about guppies before you go.
- Guppy Dropsy Disease – Symptoms & Treatment
- How To Tell Difference Between Male & Female Guppy Fry
- Best Flake Food For Guppy Fish
- Guppy Bent Spine – Scoliosis & Tuberculosis
- Why Do My Guppies Stay In The Corner Of Tank?
- Is It Ok To Keep Guppy In A Fish Bowl?
- Guppy Fish and Platy Fish – Are They Good Tank Mates?
- How Long Can Guppies Go Without Food?
- Best Live Plants For Guppy Fish Tank
- Why Do My Guppies Keep Dying?
- How Many Guppies In A 10 Gallon Tank
- Guppy Fish and Cherry Shrimp – Are They Good Tank Mates?
- Guppy Fish and Molly Fish – Are They Good Tank Mates?
- Guppy Fish and Goldfish – Are They Good Tank Mates?
- How To Tell If Guppies Are Stressed
- How To Make Guppy Fry Grow Faster
- 10 Reasons To Get Guppies As A Pet
- What Is The Best Water pH Level For Guppies?
- Guppy Fish Growth Stages
- Guppy Fish and Angelfish – Are They Good Tank Mates?
- How To Start A Guppy Fish Tank
- Guppy Diseases, Parasites & Remedies
- Can Guppy Fish and Betta Fish Share A Tank?
- How To Care For Guppy Fish
- How To Care For Guppy Fry
- Guppy Fish Minimum Water Temperature
- Do Guppy Fish Lay Eggs?
- Do Guppies Need A Heater?
- How To Introduce Guppies To A New Tank
- What Fish Make Good Guppy Tank Mates?