Apple says that it will replace malfunctioning iPhone XS, iPhone XS Max, and iPhone XR Smart Battery Cases sold between January of 2019 and October of 2019 at Apple stores and other certified retailers.
Apple has determined that some Smart Battery Cases made for iPhone XS, iPhone XS Max, and iPhone XR may experience charging issues. An affected Smart Battery Case may exhibit one or more of the following behaviors:Apple Support
Apple outlines the following two issues:
- The battery case will not charge or charges intermittently when plugged into a power supply.
- The battery case does not charge the iPhone or charges it intermittently.
Apple’s battery cases cost $129. The cases increase the charge for an iPhone by adding an extra external battery. The cases integrate smoothly with the iPhone operating system.
For example, the amount of battery left appears in the notification center. It also shows up on the lock screen, and it charges with the same charger the iPhone uses.
- Apple is replacing some iPhone battery cases for free because of charging problems – CNBC
- Apple will replace some faulty iPhone XS battery cases for free – Engadget
- Smart Battery Case Replacement Program for iPhone XS, iPhone XS Max, and iPhone XR – Apple Support