Freshwater shrimps are skilled at cleaning algae in your tank. They also eat leftover fish food and decaying plants. These are the most common algae eating shrimp:
Amano Shrimp are small and easy to care for. They grow up to 2 inches in length and are great additions to small aquariums.
They are also known as the Algae Eating shrimp. That alone tells you that they are the best algae eating shrimp.
It’s best to keep them in groups of three or more and in tanks with small to medium-sized fish that are peaceful. Because of their size, large or aggressive fish will attack and eat them. Thus, fish like goldfish and cichlids are not recommended.
Cherry shrimp are bright red in color and do best in groups of 2 to 4. They are easy to care for and will happily graze on algae and uneaten fish food. Try to keep them in aquariums with smaller fish and avoid placing them with carnivorous or large aggressive fish.
Bamboo shrimp have reddish-brown bodies with white stripes. They grow between 2 and 3 inches in length making them bigger than other algae-eating shrimp.
These shrimps are easy to maintain so long as they have access to lots of algae and leftover fish food to feed on. You can also supplement their nutrition with algae wafers.
Bamboo shrimp, like other algae eater shrimp, are peaceful and should be kept in aquariums that do not have large or carnivorous fish.
These shrimp are peaceful by nature so they do well in the community tank, though they may become prey to larger and carnivorous species.
Ghost shrimp are shrimp that have see-through bodies. They are not as effective at cleaning up algae in an aquarium as the Amano shrimp or cherry shrimp but they can help.
They grow to about 2 inches in length and are peaceful. They thrive best in tanks with other small and non-aggressive tank mates.
- Do cherry shrimp eat algae? – Red Cherry Shrimp | Details | Articles | TFH Magazine® – http://www.tfhmagazine.com/details/articles/red-cherry-shrimp.htm
- How long do algae eating shrimp live? – Algae Eating Shrimp: Which Is The Best? | Aquascape Addiction – https://www.aquascapeaddiction.com/articles/algae-eating-shrimp
- What types of algae do Amano shrimp eat? – A Solution to Algae—Amano Shrimp – Aquarium Co-Op – https://www.aquariumcoop.com/blogs/aquarium/a-solution-to-algae-amano-shrimp
- Amano Shrimp Care, Feeding, Algae Eating, Size, Lifespan – Aquarium Care Basics For Freshwater Tanks – https://www.aquariumcarebasics.com/freshwater-shrimp/amano-shrimp/
- Amano Shrimp Care Guide – Best Algae-Eating Shrimp – Video – YouTube – https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zc1O3W9HGJE
- Fighting ALGAE In A New Aquarium! Algae Eater Shrimp! – Video – YouTube – https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E0cTP7HtDqM